Friday, December 13, 2013

Just a little Something

Apparently, Hillary did a post about a week ago, so make sure you read that too! It is right after this one (sorry for any overlap).

First, I suppose I should tell you that we are having another baby.  It is going to be a boy – which I won’t lie makes me pretty excited he is due on April 21st. Also, interestingly enough, he will be born in my 30th year, just like I was born in my father’s 30th year who was born in grandpa’s 30th year. Kinda neat (obviously I have thought about this way too much . . . did I mention I was excited?).

Law School is going well. I am officially half-way done I took my last final of this semester yesterday (which, consequently is why I have time to write this today). I can’t wait to be finished though, it is pretty grueling and between Hillary and me we are now in our 4th year of law school.  

Anyway, we drove up to Massachusetts for thanksgiving, we drove up on Weds stayed Thurs and Friday and drove back on Sat.  We wanted to see Rachel’s new baby Devin and we also got to see my parents so that was a good thing. The drive up there was long – we left at 4am and got up there at about 7pm. Of course we did stop in New York City to see the statue of Liberty on our way – and that was pretty cool – Awesome, actually. But, then we got lost in New York City – also awesome, but in a different sort of way. . . We ended up driving through SoHo, Manhattan, the Bronx, Englewood, and who knows where else – it was crazy. I think we almost died about a hundred times (ok not really, but it was intense).

We had great time at Rachel’s house though, Claire loves playing with Jaelyn and Jordan, it reminds me of playing with my cousins when I was kid (especially Dan and Sarah).  Avery spent most of the time running away from DeSean who repeatedly tried to hug her. Every time he tried to hug her, Avery would run away and say “I need my space DeSean!” Ah- the wisdom of a two year old.

So short story. Claire comes home from school the other day and we are eating dinner.

Claire says: “Dad why hasn’t an elf come to our house?”

Will: “What? an elf? why would an elf come to our house?

Claire: “Yeah, an elf. One came to Cooper’s (little boy in her class) house and another one came to Chandler’s house (little girl in class).”

Will: “Well good for them, what kind of elf?”

Claire: “Well, when you are good one of Santa’s elves comes and hides in your house.”
Will: “Obviously, there’s your problem.”

At this point Hillary Chimes in: “You know, it’s the elf on the shelf thing.”

Will: “Elf on the shelf thing? What is that?”

Claire: “Well, he just comes when you’re good and stays at your house.”

Will: “Why would he want to do that?”

Hillary: “You know, Santa sends an elf to watch whether you are being good or not and every night he goes to the north pole and reports to Santa and then moves to a different spot in the house – and the kids have to find him each day.”

Will: “for reals, who comes up with this stuff? How about you just be good so you don’t get a kick in the pantalones (that’s Spanish for pants).

Claire: “no, Mom, that’s not right.”

Hillary: “no? ok so where does the elf come from?”

Claire: “She comes for the North Pole when you are good and then lives with you.”

Will: “so now it’s a she.”

Claire: “of course. Boys get boy elves and girls get girls elves.”

Will: “Of course.”

Claire: “Yeah, they just come when you are good and then they live with you. Santa sends them. So when is an elf going to come to our house?”

Will: “It’s not. We don’t believe in slav...er...indentured servitude” (I was going to slavery, but Hillary has challenged me to try an be a little less offensive . . . especially now that we live in the South...) I then continued: "Besides, why would an elf want to come live with us? All of its family is in the North Pole. How would you like it if we just shipped you to Canada one day while we stayed here?”

Hillary: “yeah wouldn't you miss us and get lonely?”

Will: “doesn't sound like a very nice thing to do to the elf, I think he….excuse me….she….should get to stay in the North Pole with their family, don’t you Claire?

Claire: “Well, how would you like it if you were just stuck in Santa’s workshop all day working?”

Will: “BOOM. Claire layin’ the smack down. Good point Claire. You make a good point. But, an elf still isn’t coming to our house.”

Claire: “Awww…why not?”

Will: “Because you have to be good, and you haven’t finished your dinner. Now eat your food.”

Anyway, I imagine we’ll end up getting an elf now – capitalism at its best, get the kids involved and you’re pretty much sunk. But maybe she’ll forget about it. 

Hope everyone is doing well. Here are some pics of the kiddos.


A four leaf Clover! What!





Opening Birthday Presents

Katie and Red Katie all dressed up




No comments:

Post a Comment